Hey there! This is the chatterbox repository, and this is the README file. Consider supporting our work by visiting and adding to the fun!
Disclaimer: ChatterBox is available on (and designed for) Tor. It has a v3 onion service which can only be accessed through the Tor Browser (or a tor configured browser/system), as well as a clearnet url which you can use on any browser.
As such, there might occasionaly be questionable contributions made on the chat. We do not tolerate some and remove them as soon as possible. If you come accross material that offends or upsets you, do not panic. Just close it, wipe your browser cache (nothing google can't help you with), and continue like nothing happened.
You'll need to have php with pdo, pcre, mbstring and date extension, and a web-server installed. You will also need the pdo_sqlite, pdo_mysql or pdo_pgsql extension, depending on which database you choose. Optionally, you can install:
- the gd extension for the captcha feature
- the json extension for save/restore
- a memcached server and the memcached extension and change the configuration to use memcached. This will lessen the database load a bit.
- a MySQL or PostgreSQL server to use as an external database instead of SQLite
- the libsodium extension (PHP >= 7.2) for encryption of messages and notes in the databaseWhen you have everything installed and use MySQL or PostgreSQL, you'll have to create a database and a user for the chat. Then edit the configuration at the bottom of the script to reflect the appropriate database settings and to modify the chat settings the way you like them. Then copy the script to your web-server directory and call the script in your browser with a parameter like this:
http://(server)/(script-name).php?action=setup. Now you can create the Superadmin account. With this account you can administer the chat and add new members and set the guest access. As soon as you are done with the setup, all necessary database tables will be created and the chat can be used.
Note: If you updated the script, please visit
http://(server)/(script-name).php?action=setup again, to make sure, that any database changes are applied and no errors occur.
The ChatterBox project is part of the Curiosity Suite, developed by @thenullnetwork. They manage it all through the Do Not Know (DNK) Project.
The chat is composed of various ranks of members. There are:
- Junior Members
- Senior Members
- Super Moderators
- Super Admins
You can replicate, modify, and/or distribute this code, and others freely. You do not need to refer to us, but this is generally frowned upon. Personally though - we don't care.
We do ask though that you inform us of any security flaws/improvements you find or make to our work. This is important to help keep everyone safe.
Brief of The Project & Team
DNK is a web-project designed to make the web more accessible to everyone, while respecting their privacy and financial restrictions. Every thing that DNK provides is FREE and allows for complete anonymity, although you do need to smart about that yourself. DNK can be self-hosted for added privacy, and it’s package gets larger every day. (Or week, or month). The DNK community hosts many different services, and welcomes everyone into it. DNK is focused on accessibility and freedom. It's that simple. You are welcome to contact D, Nemo, or Curious @ the chat if you have any questions at all regarding yourself and the internet.
The Null Network (Team)
The Null Network is a small network of users of DNK dedicated to moderating and building it. The Null Network currently consists of @D @Nemo @Curious @JMax @arco @tonc @ATOM. These users are helped by Senior Members, currently @TILTER @simone @Anton @CtrlAltDel.